Thursday, February 14, 2008

To my Nana



God Was Your Closest Friend

I knew you were hurting although you wouldn’t cry,
And could see you were suffering, see the pain in your eye
I wanted to comfort you, to hold you, be with you that day,
You looked so helpless and frail while in bed you did lay.

I watched as you shivered from a new pain,
And wondered how I might have handled the same.
I wanted to scream, to shout, and to yell,
You said you were fine although your skin was so pale.

I knew in my heart your time was near end,
And wished I could take you, your body to mend.
I knew that soon God would be your closest friend,
You told me many times that’s how it would end.

I stood there watching as each breath came slow,
And fought to find courage, my emotions were low.
I promised you when the time came that I’d not cry,
You never saw my eyes wet, always they were dry.

I held your hand as I silently said goodbye,
And knew in my heart that soon you would die.
I stroked your forehead and said how I loved you,
You nodded and smiled and I knew that you knew.

I no longer care, my tears I can’t hide,
And as I stood there waiting for death by your side.
I knew then that God was your closest friend,
You had told me many times that’s how it would end.

by Randall Beers

To my beautEEful, little Italian Nana, Mary Lou. I love you. May 29, 1922- February 10, 2008

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sincere condolences for your loss of Nana's physical being - for certainly she will be with you spiritually for all of your days.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet tribute to your Nana! Nanas are some of the best people on this earth. My sincere condolences.

Anonymous said...

...God Bless little Nana. Always in our hearts.

Gabs said...

thank you so very much....

Anonymous said...

I never knew my nana, but I wish I did. That was beautiful. My most sincere condolences.