Sunday, April 09, 2006

Charlize honored



Charlize Theron received the Vanguard Award at the 17th annual GLAAD Media Awards for increasing "visibility and understanding in the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community."

"This is very surreal for me because two years ago, I stood right here and won my Oscar for 'Monster,'" Theron said.

Last year, Theron said that she and her partner, Stuart Townsend, would not wed until gay and lesbian couples attained the legal right to marry.

"I feel so fortunate that I am in a relationship with a wonderful man," Theron said Saturday night. "I find it incredibly unfair that because of our sexual preference, we have the rights that we have, and that, because of someone else's sexual preference, they don't have those same rights."

1 comment:

neal gardner said...

america will unfortunately not commit to granting gay and lesbians equal rights for a long, long time.
maybe charlize is using this as her insurance.
much like america, she has serious commitment issues. :P